David is starting his 10th year at UCSD, closing over 100+ patent and copyright licenses during that time in the fields of network technology, semiconductors, telecommunications, advanced materials, bio-informatics, software, diagnostic medical devices and opto-electronics. He is also the recipient of the TTO “Licensing Officer Award” for outstanding performance in fiscal years 2005 and 2006.
David’s completed transactions include foundational technology licenses for over twenty new ventures including Ortiva Wireless (3G content delivery); Blaze DFM (acquired by Tela Innovations); Scoperta Materials (advanced materials); Awarepoint (asset tracking); app2you (Web 2.0 database software); Taaz.com (Web 2.0 consumer products); StatRx (network managed medical equipment); MRV (oceanography instrumentation); EarthRisk (advanced long-range weather forecasting); HiPerWorks (high-resolution display systems); and Linear Signal Systems (RF chip sets). He is a regularly invited speaker and judge in the areas of technology commercialization, venture investment, business plan competitions and routinely teaches upper division and graduate level courses on these topics for the benefit of UCSD and SDSU students.
David came to UC San Diego after serving eight years as a Civil Engineer Corps Officer in the U.S. Navy. He is a Licensed Professional Electrical Engineer and holds an MBA degree.
On a personal note, David is active in his community, serving as Cub Scout leader, football coach, and volunteer school art instructor.
- Medicare to Reimburse for TearLab Test (10/11/10)
- Startup Strives to Take Risk Out of Severe-Weather Predictions (7/19/10)
- Teledyne and Scripps Institution of Oceanography form Alliance for Advancement of Autonomous Underwater Glider Technology (6/27/08)
- Need New Look? Online Makeover is fan-taaz-tic (3/18/08)
- Blaze DFM Raises $10M B-round
- Ortiva Wireless Founded on $7M A-round
- Ocusense Closes $14M Commitment from Oculogix
- Ortiva Wireless Raises $15M B-round
- Qualcomm Acquires Softmax